Sunday, March 05, 2006

Running

Here is something I wrote about a year ago.
I needed a good reminder as I read through it, and thought that maybe it could encourage you as well!
~ Theresa ~

Ponder: May 2, 2005
Running.
Head-strong, full out determination.
Eyes on the goal, shifting neither left nor right.
Focus, power, every movement in purposeful unison.
Control.

This was my “strategy” when I ran competitively, and for many years it brought much success.
It’s a decent technique if you run track or cross country.
But for life?

I suppose it depends on your goal, if there is one at all.
Unfortunately, I find myself “running” in many other areas of my life besides sports.
Running head-strong in my teaching.
Running full force in relationships.
In knowledge, in talents, in compassion….
Yet without a clear goal, the running turns into frenzied, panicked lunges and surges.
Especially if I try to do it alone.

Israel struggled with this too.
In Isaiah 30, God reprimands His people for wrongly making an alliance with Egypt.
He identifies their actions for what they are: sin.
Israel thought they would find their own solutions to problems.
Their eyes and ears were focused, but on the wrong goal.
Focused on Egypt rather than on God’s revelation to them.

God chastises them for their wayward hearts.
In the midst of His words to them lies this verse:
“This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says:
‘In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength,
but you would have none of it’ ” (Is. 30:15).

Repentance.
Rest.
Trust!
Salvation.

It’s time I stop my “running.”
And rest, in Him.
Maybe you, too, have your own “Egypt” to whom you run.
God commands us to stop our “frenzied running.”
His arms are open; His promise stands true.

“Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!” (Isaiah 30:18)

No comments: