Sunday, March 19, 2006

Refuge

I wrote this reflection two weeks ago, but for some reason it seemed fitting to share today.

Ponder: March 5, 2006

Desperate bleats pierce the silence:
weary pleas for help.
Bloodstained wool and torn ligaments evidence the self-imposed trauma of the lost lamb.
Vulnerable to prey,
he can fight no longer.
Cold loneliness envelops him
as he lets out another cry of angst.
The lamb acknowledges his troubles
and shamelessly begs for the shepherd’s firm, guiding hand.

Vulnerable.
Weary, stained, and soiled,
A heart and conscience marked with guilt.
As I approached God’s house for communal worship,
I was only too aware of my poignant need for grace.
That recognition itself was evidence of grace!
“…my heart and flesh cry out for the Living God” (Psalm 84:2b).

Communion Sunday.
Immediately an extra wave of remorse washed upon me.
Yet the Holy Spirit moved me to deep repentance,
and my soul found refuge, not condemnation.
“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!” (Psalm 34:8)

Ultimate physical and spiritual suffering heaped upon Christ.
----
Agony.
----
Torment.
----
For me and for all who trust.

The peace and comfort was unprecedented!
Christ’s physical agony was in our place.
Christ’s purifying blood ran down for our sin.

Life-giving refreshment.
Purification.
Mercy.

THE LAMB
on behalf of the lost sheep;
the essence of matchless love.
Be refreshed this Lord’s Day, and on each succeeding day,
and pray for God’s Spirit to work powerfully within you.

“…This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me….This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me” (1 Corinthians 11:24b, 25b).


Revelation 7:10b, 12
"Salvation belongs to our God,

who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb."
"Amen!

Praise and glory
and wisdom and thanks and honor
and power and strength
be to our God for ever and ever.
Amen!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Theresa, did you write that yourself, or did you find that somewhere? It is powerful, and I just heard a sermon on the imagery of the Lamb and Christ. At the beginning of Lent, it is an important reminder. Let us also not forget the joy that we experience from His resurrection. Not only has He died for us, but He lives for us, and we with him!
Anne

Theresa said...

Thanks, Anne.
I always appreciate your comments and feedback! Yes, I wrote this piece after Communion Sunday. (I'll always credit other sources).
Thanks again for the reminder of the joy we find as well. You provide good balance for me.
;) Love lots!