Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tears for Bella

Yesterday I saw a movie in the theatres: Bella.
This was a unique event, besides the fact that I almost never see movies in the theatres. It’s unique since Bella is currently playing in only 11 Canadian cities.

And while there are a just one or two critiques I could write about this 2006 winner of Toronto’s “People’s Choice Award,” I will rather share praise for all of the outstanding, worthy things.

Bella is definitely pro-life on many levels.
Pro-life as in anti-abortion and pro-adoption.
Pro-life as in appreciating the beauty of the family unit.
Pro-life as in acknowledging the gift of each day and the opportunities presented in it, no matter what hardships come.
Pro-life as in understanding the need for compassion, brotherly love, and forgiveness.

From an artistic standpoint, the film is incredibly well produced. It effectively engages the viewer with foreshadowing and flashbacks, and it includes striking, powerful imagery.
The cast is extremely believable and pulls you into their lives, subtly aided by the great music and filming. The Mexican-Portuguese family is true to character and dialogues in Spanish, adding to the authenticity.
It is also unique in that it’s virtually free of anything offensive.

Bella is a powerful film.
On two occasions during the film, I was outright sobbing as I engaged in the lives of those portrayed.

I cried for those who have experienced incredible loss and pain,
and for those who have lived through broken dreams.
I cried for all the unborn babies.
I cried for those who want children but can’t have them.

I cried because they were speaking in Spanish,
and it made me miss Honduras incredibly.

Then I sobbed again after the movie when I tried to explain to my friends why I was crying!!
I realized I was also crying because I needed to release those tears.
For the grief-filled moments.
For the children who live on the streets, and for those who seem to have no hope.
For words that were said that shouldn’t be,
and for the families that are broken by sin and hatred.
For the unbeliever who doesn’t know God and doesn’t have a solace for their tears, who is perishing apart from the Lord.


Bella.
In Spanish, “Bella” is pronounced “Bay-ya” and means “beautiful” when referring to a female noun.

Beautiful.
How appropriate for this beautifully inspiring film.
And for the tears that were able to be shed.

No comments: