Sunday, May 13, 2007

wrestling and rest

Yesterday was a "wrestling" day.
Wrestling with myself and with doubts....about decisions, the future, my time here, etc.
Finally I realized the trouble - I was relying on my own abilities, knowledge, and efforts, which of course are insufficient!
God both humbled me and reassured me through His Word and through prayer.
I think the coming year may be a year of me learning to rely on Him rather than all of my own efforts, which is a dangerous tendency for me.

This morning in church we sang an old hymn, Day By Day and With Each Passing Moment, by Lina Sandell. The lyrics really encouraged me, so I wrote them down and typed out the first verse and a half below.

"Day by day and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best-
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Power."

No comments: