Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Futbol :)

I love my students to pieces! Part of my "ministry" with them is just hanging out with them: listening, learning, and loving. It has been fun doing things with them after school, like inviting them over to my apartment.

The past two weeks all my boys came over in groups. I taught them how to make homemade pizza, and they LOVED it. ;) They all wanted the recipe. The best part was getting goopy kneading the dough. Super cute.
Great conversation was had by all. As the pizza rose, we had some thrilling matches of futbol (soccer).
It was fun "getting rough and dirty" with them. They were impressed - pretty good, coming from ultimate futbol lovers!

I truly thank God for the relationships that are built. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that how you spell it in Spanish? Futbol?
Looks like the boys did have a great time. Are there any cultural expectations when it comes to gender and cooking? Just wondering.
Anne

Theresa said...

Sorry that I haven't written in a while! Yes, "futbol" is Spanish for "soccer." Really, it makes more sense than our use of the word, since American Football uses more hands than feet....

There are VERY strong cultural roles in the country communities and more rural areas. Men have NOTHING to do with food or kitchen as far as I have experienced and am told. For the more developed places there aren't really those expectations - I would say it is comparable to N America in that its fine for both to cook but women tend to do it more.
Also, here many people have a helper who does some of the cooking (common in Central America).