Saturday, April 22, 2006

Does she really teach?!

I realized I don't have any pictures of or reference to my students on this blog yet! I thought I'd remedy that problem and give you a snapshot into some of the fun things we've done this year! :)
Above: Students preparing for a courtroom debate in which we put Jack from "Jack and the Beanstalk" on trial.

** Plays are fantastic for building student confidence and public speaking ability, especially for second language learners. :) Plus they're super, duper fun!
Below Left: Eleni is also ready to act with her cleaning costume for her propoganda technique skit. (Notice the Canadian apron she was borrowing from me - thanks Char!) :)



















Below: Maria Fernanda as a "little pig" in one of the plays my students wrote!

Right: A plasticine model of an early farming community. This was my first year teaching social studies, and to my surprise, I loved it! It was neat helping the students reenact, experience, and analyze other cultures!

What is school without a pyjama day? My students had fun being cozy as they played a math game, "factor captor," on prime factors.

Olympics: Another fun event (after all the organization) was our Ancient Greek olympics! Good thing I've had some quality experiences in Track and Field! :) The students had a blast and it was fun to have parents join us. Of course, we had to finish with a good, old Tug-Of-War event! :)

Here are two of the pictures of our open house for parents. The students presented one play and two Greek myths. Then each author read their very own fairy tale to small groups of parents while everyone enjoyed home-made Dutch baked goods.

Thanks for joining us for a whirlwind overview in 6A! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and "my" students are amazing! If I ever teach again, I want to be like you! Love, Ms. Lawrence

Theresa said...

Gracias, Sarita! :)
Voy a responder a su correo electronico despues de mi camina....con pensamientos de Ud., naturalamente!
Gracias, tambien, por su inspiracion - siempre - en la escuela!
(Lo siento - no chequee mi deletreo por este nota.)
Con amor....

Anonymous said...

Those are some crazy Spanish Skillz! I can't wait to see them in Action!! Yeah! about 2 weeks!

Anonymous said...

I sorta got the Spanish. Great pictures as an answer to "does she really teach?" Good to see some photos of all the work that you do.
Anne

Theresa said...

Thanks Anne!
Too bad you can't send audio of all your work, eh? ;)