Friday, June 20, 2008

"it's all about me"

Teens are often accused of being eco-centric.
And sometimes they are.
But lately I’ve been struck me how they're not the only guilty ones.

It shocks me and saddens me how often "we adults" also act, talk, and think in ways that show our thoughts revolving around "self." I know I'm guilty too.
Adults are sneakier about it though. Or maybe just unaware.

Self-centered thoughts can be disguised in extroverted affection for others; they can be crowned with false humility; they can be mingled with continual spiritual talk.

But when it comes down to it, most of us think way too much of ourselves, in two ways: too highly and too often.
Our sin nature is rooted deep. Very deep.

It is a good reminder to get our eyes off of ourselves (again) and to fix them on Christ, where they belong.

Don't get me wrong. Self-depreciation is unhealthy and ungodly as well. But I think most of us tend to live in the fear of man rather than the Fear of the Lord.
In the following days, I'll try to follow up this post with some quotes from an excellent book by Ed Welch: When People Are Big and God is Small.

It's good to be blogging again. Yet… sometimes I wonder if this, too, is just another outlet for self-talk for me. Or at the very least, a time zapper that distracts me from other real-time things that should be dealt with.

Kind of rambling.
Guess that happens from time to time.
But I’m going to try to work on this direction-of-the-eyes-thing. Although it’s really a heart-thing, isn’t it?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

unaware self centeredness (is that a word?)
so we can see that self examination is an exersize, something to stretch our mind beyond the normal every day type of living.

P.S. i love your blogs and i can often only add :amen.
your choice of words and expression of thoughts and observations are thought inspiring and God gloryfying. a.m.