Friday, June 27, 2008

The Fear of Man

Choosing what to post first from Edward Welch's When People are Big and God is Small was not an easy task. The danger with book excerpts is that they can be misread / misinterpreted. I think this gives a good basis to the issue though. Tomorrow will be a look at the various ways to deal with this problem. TS

"I suddenly realized that I had mutated into a walking love tank, a person who was empty inside and looking for a person to fill me....Since those days I have spoken with hundreds of people who end up at this same place: they are fairly sure that God loves them, but they also want or need love from other people - or at least they need something from other people.

"As a result, they are in bondage, controlled by others and feeling empty...an epidemic of the soul called, in biblical language, 'the fear of man.' Although they were avowed worshippers of the true God, below the surface they feared other people" (13-14).

No comments: