Thursday, February 14, 2008

...thoughts abounding...

Go figure.
I decide to take a month off from blogging and feel like I could have written a book every day! :) ("Phew"- you're thinking - "good thing she took a month off or we'd be reading all of those posts..." ha ha ha). I've been deep in thought and prayer (and journals!) about many thing that are dear to my heart. During this month, I've also been blessed to discuss and interact with so many precious Christian brothers and sisters, whose prayers and guidance I deeply cherish! I love the community of the body of Christ.

[I was also lovingly accused of doing too much thinking and introspection, which I find funny but also potentially true! :) I guess sometimes I try to figure things out too much, which leads to my blog for today....].

One theme especially on my mind this past month was the relationship between God's providence and sovereignty as He directs our lives and our human responsibility to make decisions. God knows everything that will happen in our lives and has orchestrated each event. That still (rightly) baffles, humbles, and comforts me! Yet at the same time, we have our individual choices to make. They are to be made in light of the Scriptures and God's revealed will, and always with prayer, but when it comes down to it, we have to make choices.

Why have decisions always made me cringe? I remember getting stressed as a child because I couldn't decide on which ice cream flavour to choose or which game to play at recess. Such trivial things. Yet as I get older, the decisions become more and more "weighty."

Yet I find incredible comfort in the fact that God does indeed direct our paths when we desire to follow after Him. Decisions may not be clearly laid out, and there may sometimes be equally "right" options from which to choose. But Christians possess the gift of the Holy Spirit within them, and that is an assurance of guidance from the Lord Almighty when we stop to seek and listen.

I know I'm not really saying anything new. I just rejoice that, no matter how agonizing decisions sometimes seem (and there are always decisions), God is a faithful God who does not change!!! He is there. He does guide and lead. He does direct. And He also trusts us to step out in faith as His children, led by His Word and His Spirit.

May you feel the comfort of the Lord's leading hand.

Show me Your ways, O LORD; teach me Your paths.

Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation;

On You I wait all the day. Psalm 25:3-4

No comments: