Saturday, June 02, 2007

Victor Moises Salgado Zuniga

This fine young gentleman is very special to me! Victor is my sponsor child and is in the kindergarten class at Nueva Esperanza, a Christian school and day-care program here in Tegucigalpa. The program provides food, safety, and education to children from the community who are from needy families.

Since I live relatively closeby, I have the privilege of visiting Victor. His face totally lit up when I surprised him with a visit this past Monday! :) Precious! We had fun chatting (in Spanish), coloring, reading, and playing with a fire engine. :)


Last year I went to visit with his entire family. It was very eye-opening to see their living conditions - a small, three-sided house built of metal and wood with a dirt floor and a tin roof. Fortunately they have a house! They are even fortunate enough to have a small stove and a bed that is shared by his Mom and his three older siblings. It is very humbling to interact with this family and those in the community.

I am reminded again of the many needs in this world, which are so overwhelming. However, I'm also reminded of the importance of reaching out and doing what we can where we are.

I'm so thankful for Victor in my life! :)

1 comment:

Matt and Missy Kamps said...

Theresa,
Matt showed me your blog and it was refreshing to read, and enjoy your experiences. Thank you for your wisdom and sincerity
Missy