Thursday, July 13, 2006

End of the story

Oops…I’ve been a little negligent on the blogging. Sorry! Here’s the story …. backtracking to June and school stuff.

Sleepovers! I had many fabulous opportunities to visit with the families of my students, which often resulted in a sleepover! I love how I have become a part of some of the families here! :)


6th Grade Promotion As the only returning 6th grade teacher, I was in charge of the promotion for our students. My teammates were great helpers, and we put together a beautiful ceremony. Thankfully the many changes we made (anti-tradition) were well accepted.
Hightlight: I said an introduction speech in SPANISH! :)
(PS - this picture is my students doing their favourite activity: making a unity web!)

Last day of School: I cried. My students cried. The parents cried. Happy tears of all the special moments and memories made this year….God blessed us all with a special measure of unity, teamwork, and grace! I am so thankful for this past year, each student, and all of the families. I know God is doing marvelous things in their young lives!

Later this week I’ll catch up on what has been happening SINCE school…(always an adventure or two!) :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Theresa!
So happy to see you today! I love your pictures of your adventures in Honduras, keep them coming! Thanks for your encouragement today for my mom and her situation. We rely on the fact that God knows what is best in our lives and He will work it out for our best!
Take care Theresa, and have a bueno time in Spanish lessons.
Melissa Tigchelaar

Anonymous said...

Good to see some final pictures. Will need to hear some details about the changes that were made to the promotion for your Grade 6s.
Looks good
Anne

Anonymous said...

Good to see some final pictures. Will need to hear some details about the changes that were made to the promotion for your Grade 6s.
Looks good
Anne

Anonymous said...

Good to see some final pictures. Will need to hear some details about the changes that were made to the promotion for your Grade 6s.
Looks good
Anne

Theresa said...

Well, Anne, since you left your comment THREE TIMES I figure you'd like an answer...;)

Perhaps some of these changes don't sound that big to you, but for forty years or whatever "tradition has been tradition."
- Having a promotion speech done by two people sharing the honor.
- Having the children sit on the ground facing the stage rather than being on the stage.
- The students walk in pairs, usually in girl-boy pairs, which causes anxiety. We had them walk in same-sex pairs.
I can't remember some of the other changes, but you get the idea. Lots of little changes that had the parents potentially stressed...