Sunday, April 19, 2009

direction of our hearts

In Honduras, a friend shared Dr. Timothy Keller's sermon series on "Practical Grace: How the Gospel Transforms Character." I highly recommend this ten-part series from Redeemer Presbyterian Church; it is Biblically convicting and helps one critically and loving analyze the motives behind one's actions.


One very practical thing I learned about was "over-desires." Most of our "idols" are not wrong desires in themselves, but rather over-desires. This weekend, I continued in my journey of reading Flavel's The Mystery of Providence (1678, reprinted 1998). One section reminded me of this concept of over-desires.
Whatsoever we have over-loved, idolized, and leaned upon, God has from time to time broken it, and made us to see the vanity of it; so that we find the readiest course to be rid of our comforts is to set our hearts inordinately or immoderately upon them. For our God is a jealous God, and will not part with His glory to another" (124).

Jealous God. Will not share His glory.

Am I, are you, giving Him his due glory? May we see the lasting joy of the beauty of our God!

(Jake, this book continues to have many jewels; sorry for not being faithful in posting quotations for you. Do read it this summer though, if you can make the time!)

1 comment:

Jake Belder said...

Thanks. :)

It is still on my to-read list, which I get to dig into in about five weeks!