Monday, September 24, 2007

continued blessings

Reasons I loved teaching sixth grade in Honduras:
- My students loved me in obvious ways (for example, I received encouragement notes and student artwork and many affectionate words)
- My students loved to hug me and play sports with me
- I could invite students over to my apartment to make pizza
- I could spend time with my students’ families
- I could stand outside at recess and be warm / hot almost all year long!
- I could mentor and encourage my students and get to know them very well!
- My role in their faith formation was very foundational

Reasons I love teaching in Canada:
- My students can reason at even deeper levels
- I can expect more from my students behaviourally and academically
- I am held very accountable in my teaching (standards galore, but it stretches you positively)
- I can still spend time with my students’ families and can communicate with the families much more naturally
- I can experience the four seasons
- I have a large in helping students live our their faith and see it “with new eyes”
- I can mentor and guide students through a sometimes difficult time of life

I am sure there are many more positive things for each, but I wanted to quickly reflect on the blessings in both situations!

No comments: